Monday, April 2, 2012

Easter Stickiness

One week until Easter.  I have to say that all of the Easter prep is always a lot of work for me.  Maybe it's because it usually falls close enough to several birthdays that it's about all I can do to buy the ham and get the girls their dresses.  I must confess that it's been a few years since we have colored eggs.  *gasp*  I know!  What kind of memories are my kids making?  So in an effort to make some sort of moment and also to find another activity for them to do on Spring break, I tried making fondant.
Getting our hands very messy and greasy with Crisco and powdered sugar!

I love the look on Monkey's face!  He hates to get his hands messy.  He even hates the feel of lotion!

This may seem bizarre.  I hate to bake.  I do it when my husband drops enough hints that he would really like some warm chocolate chip cookies, but he usually makes them himself.  Sometimes I think about it, but I really don't like to bake.  I bake the kids their cakes or cupcakes for their birthdays and those I do willingly and I find that I like doing that for them, but really that is it.  So, I will NEVER be the one that offers to bring a dozen cookies to the bake sale.  Ever!

Look at how much fun they are having!

So back to the fondant.  My Sweet T is going to be turning 2 in 2 weeks and I have been thinking about what do bake.  It's something that I start thinking about months in advance so I can gear myself up to it.  I have been on Pinterest so much  lately looking at these amazing fondant cakes and cupcakes (www.pinterest.com) and they look so fun.  I thought that maybe the big kids would like to help me make it.  So this week was the test run.  Kind of fun.  A little like play-doh.



As the cupcakes were cooling off, I rolled out the fondant.  We, (the kids) had decided to try a light orange or peach color for the fondant.  I had thought I was using my round cake pans for the cakes but then realized that they were in storage. (When staging your house for a move you eliminate all but the necessary!) So the cake became cupcakes.
I decided that it might be cute to make the cupcakes into individual eggs and the kids could decorate their own "eggs".  Kill 2 birds with one stone!  Wahoo!


So here is the collection of our creations.  The older two kids and me and then the hubby had to make his own.  Don't mind the cupcake that is an eyeball, the other two are truly Easter related!



So with 5 days left until Easter, I have started on the decorating track.  Now, something for tomorrow that helps the kids remember what the meaning of Easter really is.  Not the Easter bunny.  Oh, I saw this picture on pinterest.

Next year I am so going to do this.  I think it's a pretty center piece.  What do you do for Easter?

No comments:

Post a Comment